Monday, September 21, 2020
- Starting Wednesday, September 23, Nebraska City Public Schools will provide all breakfast and lunches at no cost to all enrolled students through December 31st 2020 or until funding runs out. The USDA recently provided waivers through the end of this year to allow school districts to offer breakfast and lunches to all enrolled students at no cost while also providing the district reimbursement for the costs associated with the production and serving of the meals.
Key Points of the Program
- The waivers that have been extended by the USDA allow districts to go back to September 1 and claim all breakfast and lunches served. Because of this, NCPS will be crediting all meals that were paid at full (or a reduced) price back to each student account in the date range of September 1st through September 25th, 2020. Because the program currently only runs through December 31st, the district will maintain the balances already on student accounts so that money will be available in the accounts the second semester. At this time, no payouts will be made on current account balances.
- Starting again in January 2021, we will return to our regular pricing and meals will again be charged to student accounts as normal.
- If a junior/senior high school student chooses to purchase an extra entree or ala carte item, they can still do that, but those items will need to be paid in cash as these extras are not covered by waiver extension. This “extra entree” and ala carte option is not available at the elementary.
- Please note that some menu items may need to be adjusted as necessary to accommodate the higher volume of breakfast and lunches. Thank you in advance for your flexibility and patience.